The hot water balloon tanks are made of metal, which, even protected by a coating such as enamel, can be corroded by chlorinated water.
To prevent corrosion that could lead to water heater leakage, some models of water heaters are now equipped with the ACI hybrid dynamic corrosion protection: a magnesium-coated titanium anode is placed in the center of the tank. Magnesium is sprayed permanently on the walls, where it creates a protective barrier.
This barrier is then held in place by the chemical action of the titanium anode. This corrosion barrier is active as soon as the water heater is commissioned and does not require any special maintenance. Even if, with the purchase, a water heater equipped with this technology can be more expensive, it will prove, with the use, impressive on a financial level.
Also, many models are now furnished with “smart” systems: they adapt to the production of hot water according to the pace of life of occupants and know how to manage absences. They can produce the amount of water you need.
With limestone, resistance begins to toil and becomes less powerful. It is therefore recommended to drain the tank and replace the scaled strength as soon as the water heats up less or it takes longer to heat. It is also necessary to ensure the excellent performance of the hot water tank so that it provides optimal comfort and less consumption.
The hot water tanks have a lifespan shorter or longer depending on the mechanisms in place to ensure sustainability and maintenance. Maintenance of this equipment is often neglected; once the failure or leak is declared, the device is often replaced. Do not neglect the insulation of your water heater either.
It is advisable to let the gas, thermodynamic, or solar water heater maintenance to a professional: networks are more complex.
2.How to empty a water heater
- Turn off the power (electricity, gas …).
- Stop the circuit breaker or remove the fuse from the water heater.
- Turn off the water supply and open the faucets in your home.
- Arrange a vast basin under the balloon or garden hose to drain the water.
- Open the purge valve, protecting you from splashes and steam.
- Wait until the balloon is empty (may take about an hour).
- Close the drain cock.
- Open the water supply.
- Close the taps of your home.
- Wait until the balloon fills up again.
- Restart the power supply.
3.How to replace a water heater resistor
- Perform steps 1 / to 6 / above (draining).
- Remove the cover and memorize the electrical connections.
- Unscrew the plate, the flange gasket, and unscrew the resistor.
- Replace the resistor with a new part.
- Clean the tank and thermostat heater with vinegar and a brush until you get as much limestone as possible.
- Replace the seals.
- Replace the flange and the plate.
- Repeat the electrical connections.
- Repeat steps 7 / to 11 / of the drain (see above).